Saturday, December 26, 2009

On to a different topic

The time has finally come to start blogging about everyday life and keeping track of many wonderful things that I happen upon. Sometimes it will be food related, other times travel related. Throw in a bit of beauty and sports.

Let's start with my Christmas Eve dinner. I have lots of things to rave about.

Esther's German Bakery
I bought rolls, apple strudel and sauerkraut from here. The pretzel rolls are addictive--and truly hard to find anywhere else in the south bay. The sunflower roll, which you can see on their site, makes a beautiful presentation. The sauerkraut is true Bavarian style. Visit either one of their stores and get the bratwurst on the roll with sauerkraut.


German Sauerbraten recipe from Taste of Home. Just substitute red wine for the water and yum. The gravy was even easy to make.

Food and Wine's Braised Red Cabbage with Caraway and Apple
I never thought people would be raving about cabbage. Everybody loved this dish. I did cut the caraway in half as mom thought it would be too strong as the whole thing.

I cheated on the potatoes and went to Omaha Steak for Potato Au Gratin Balls. So easy to heat up and not a single one was left....

And, I can't forget the wurst from Dittmer's in Mountain View. That place was packed, even on the Monday. I had 17 people in front of me. I will definitely be going back for great cuts of meat and homemade sausage.

We also tried a new Irish Whiskey... Fecking Irish Whiskey. Tasty...to me it has a bit of chocolate finish. Also, thanks to the K&L guys for a great party wine, Grune from Austria. Perfect with the meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment